[Rhodes22-list] Kansas City

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 09:09:48 EDT 2007

Guys - My vote is split......I love it all but I vote Texas for Beef Brisket
and Western NC for pork shoulder. Overall I prefer the pork so that is what
goes in my smoker several times a year.  I like the Western NC style sauce
(vinegar base with a red pepper kick) rather than the milder Eastern NC
sauce. I don’t know what happened to SC but many places there go with a
mustard sauce. There is a place in Alabama that has a white sauce (mayo
based I think) but those folks down there don’t have a clue how to make Q!

I have found the BBQ in KC rather bland and that includes Bryant's. Many of
the big rib places in Memphis feature "dry" ribs using spice rub and little
or no sauce. The Rendezvous and Corky's come to mind. The Rendezvous is the
most famous rib places in Memphis and in my opinion it is way overrated and
over priced. They smoke with charcoal only and the dry rub is well....very
dry. Something like 22 bucks for a dry half slab with a tiny serving of
coleslaw and beans. I can go to East Knoxville and get a half slab of tender
wood smoked ribs with great beans and slaw for about $10.

Wally