[Rhodes22-list] Economics

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Wed Mar 28 14:01:11 EDT 2007

Hank,

I suspect the evolving mortgage mess is going to be a bi-partisan issue -
forget Democrats criticizing.  I think the Congress is going to be asking
representatives from Treasury and the Fed a lot of hard questions about their  lack
of attention to the evolving mess, and I think the questions will be coming
from both political parties. The Dems will get center stage because they are
the  majority, but there will be unhappy Republicans because the people and
institutions holding the bad loans are going to start voicing their
unhappiness.

I don’t think we need another law, there are tools are in place; we  need
competent, alert, involved, regulators who will use the tools they have
available - as opposed to political loyalists.  Reasonable people saw this  problem
coming more than a year ago.  What should have happened could have  been very
apolitical - for example, raise reserve requirements as a function of  NoDoc
loans underwritten or owned -  I really don’t think the Dems  would have objected
at all to what would be a technical adjustments from  Treasury or The Fed
focused on lending and thrift institutions that have  underwritten or own the
riskiest loans.

Again, this is not 20/20 hindsight - the current situation was predictable,
and it was predicted. The country has been through a previous major mortgage
meltdown in our lifetime (remember the S&L debacle?), the people paid to
regulate components of the mortgage industry should have been on guard - and
serious issues with "innovative mortgage products" including NoDoc, NINA,  and
negative amortization loans were well known more than a year ago.   I see the
current mortgage mess as another manifestation of the FEMA  syndrome.

JMO

Dave