[Rhodes22-list] Big Green Egg

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Mar 29 10:36:56 EDT 2007

Wally,

A couple of years ago I got a Big Green Egg
(http://www.biggreenegg.com/) and my eating life hasn't been the same,
since.

I know it's high tech, and expensive, and I know that's not your
thing--however, with it I can make family sized portions of BBQ that
equal the BBQ of anywhere I've ever eaten--and I've chased BBQ joints
all over the country.

I like to cook over Hickory charcoal, and except for steaks cook
everything low and slow.  The BGE can slow cook at a constant
temperature for 24 hours on a single load of charcoal.  I use a dry rub,
and allow the smoke to do most of the work.  Sometimes I put on a mop
sauce at the end, but more often, I just serve right out of the smoker.

My brisket is good, but not great (Clark's in Texas was my favorite BBQ
joint, but it's not as good as it was when the Clarks actually ran it)
--there's going to be a lot of brisket this summer while I improve my
technique.  My chicken, turkey, and ribs are the best I've ever eaten.
I also smoke fish, bacon, and cheese.  I hope to work on my smoked pizza
this summer, also.

I currently use Clark's dry rub when I'm too lazy to make my own.  I
often combine it with Clark's mop sauce.

I'm playing with other rubs and mop sauces from all over the country,
but so far Clarks' is still the one to beat.

I like Wilburs for Carolina style.

I don't think Arthur Bryant's is as good as it used to be when Arthur
Bryant was running the show.

With the BGE I can cook the meat every time as well as you can get it
from a good pit.  The flavoring question is separate.

I often serve cold BBQ on board, and it's been very popular.  This year
I plan to try steaming the already cooked BBQ to see if I can serve it
warm.  My guess is that most people will not be able to taste the
difference.  I'll let you know.

Bill Effros