[Rhodes22-list] motor mount failure

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at gmail.com
Tue May 1 09:18:48 EDT 2007

John,

There is no pat answer.....but the first thing you can do is check your
rudder and outboard mount attachments fairly often. These are critical
systems and take a lot of stress. I don't have the GB Mount but I would
think you would want solid through bolt attachments with proper backing
plate.

Racing a storm to port in a sail boat is a risky proposition as you seldom
win. If something goes wrong with steerage or engine you may wind up
increasing your risk as you are now closer to grounding. Our local storms
move through quickly so I always keep a weather eye out. I would prepare by
battening down the hatches and securing loose odds and ends. I would make
sure all awnings/biminis are down and secure. I would furl sails and lower
boom and stay clear of any lee shores. If I could make headway sailing away
from lee shore I would. You should be able to heave to in 35 knots if you
have the sea room ... if you were off shore sea anchor might help. Motoring
in 35 knots may not the best first choice. Most of us don't have storm sails
but having furling main and jib is the next best thing.

That being said if I was being forced onto a lee shore and the motor was
underwater regaining steerage would be a priority. You could try tossing
anchors and hoping they hold.....You either get the motor in the boat
quickly or cut it loose. If possible I would sail away, heave to, or anchor.
It just depends on how bad the strom is and how far from danger I am.

Depending upon how dire the dsituation a May Day or Pan Pan alert on the
radio...may also be in order.

Wally