[Rhodes22-list] Fandango's Wet

Slim stevenalm at comcast.net
Tue May 1 15:36:16 EDT 2007

Yay!  We splashed the boat yesterday.  Almost everything went fine.  The
motor started on the second pull!  Before I raised the mast, I pulled out
the sail/furling tube out the bottom of the mast to replace the furling
line.  That was a first for me and I had to learn as I went along but it
turned out to be pretty straight forward.  The whole operation took only
about a half hour.  Sorry, no pix.

We had one near catastrophe.  I'm in the habit of pulling out the tongue
extender without unhooking.  I chock the wheels, pull the pins and slowly
drive forward while an assistant holds the pins in place until they pop into
the holes.  I do this with the tongue wheel jack down just in case I go too
far.  The problem came when I was backing the extender back into place which
I can do without an assistant.  However this time I didn't have my regular
wheel chocks so I was using a block of timber.  When I was backing,  the
trailer rolled up and over the timber and started rolling down the ramp
because the pins were out (the tongue is still attached to the van) and we
had a runaway trailer heading right for the ramp where the boat was docked.
Just then the assistant put her life on the line and caught the rolling
trailer and stopped it with her super human strength.

I'll never use anything but real chocks again.

Slim