[Rhodes22-list] Fandango's Wet

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue May 1 17:03:33 EDT 2007

Slim,

I hope that you were able to sail a bit after the "incident", at least
enough to lower your blood pressure back to normal.

I have always used at least a line (rope) tied to the trailer during launch
and recovery procedures just in case the trailer separated from the tongue.
I found a pair of web style emergency tow straps (15') with hooks in Home
Depot rated for 2200 lbs to work very well.  I simply hook one end into the
safety chain "eye" and loop the other around the forward vertical support
and hook it back on the strap.  I don't cross them because of the grease on
the tongue extension.  I feel much better when positioning the trailer on
the ramp, knowing that even if the pins popped (I lost one while driving,
once), I would not lose the trailer (and boat), especially when recovering,
when the boat and trailer combo seems the heaviest.

Please, leave the ramp shows to the power boaters.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Slim" stevenalm at comcast.net Tuesday, May 01, 2007 3:36 PM