[Rhodes22-list] Packing bearings: was Trailer Owners Important Info...

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Wed May 2 23:30:53 EDT 2007

I do enjoy a good movie!

But I have to disagree with the method demonstrated to "pack" the wheel
bearings.  The person in the video did a good job of coating the outside
of the bearing and rollers with grease, but no greased was forced into
the bearing to fill the spaces under the outer race and between the
rollers. Grease should be packed up into the bearing from the bottom
until it squeezes out of the top.  Only then is the bearing completely
packed full.

Tapered roller bearings are designed to handle radial AND axial loads
(side and thrust) especially when used in pairs and loaded back to back
or (as in a wheel hub) face to face.  So some bearing pre-load is
acceptable.  Every one has their own method of setting pre-load on the
bearings by using the axle nut. The generally accepted method on small
axles like a boat trailer is to snug the axle nut by hand first. While
turning the wheel, tighten the nut to seat the bearings fully in their
races and against the shoulder on the axle.... about 1/4 turn or a flat
and a half.  (about 18 ft/lbs if you own a torque wrench and a big enough
socket)  Back the nut off a few turns to loosen it up, making sure not to
turn the wheel.  Snug the nut back up as tight as you can by hand and put
the cotter pin back in.

If I knew how to convert a super 8 video cassette from my older Sony cam
into a digital format, I'd make a bearing packing video, but the best I
can do for now is one of my crude drawings. See attachment.

Todd T.