[Rhodes22-list] Lunch in Crystal City & the Queen

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu May 3 13:56:17 EDT 2007

Hank, Philip, Joe & whoever else,

Let's do Ted's Montana Grill at noon.  I checked their website and their
marketing certainly makes the food sound good.

I just got a call from one of my sailing buddies and he'd like to blow off
work Tuesday and go sailing.  Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip and Laura Bush
will be visiting his work (NASA) and my work (Children's National Medical
Center), and since they haven't requested an audience with either one of us,
it sounds like a good day to goof off.

So after lunch at Ted's, if anyone wants to drive to Kent Island for a sail,
the invitation is open.  Crystal City to Kent Island is probably about an
hour's drive during mid-day.  Of course, plans could change due to weather.
No need to RSVP--you can let me know at lunch.  If you Google Map, take the
Bay Bridge (much easier than the New York to London swim).  Island View
Marina, 1814 Crab Alley Drive, Dominion, MD  21619.

See ya' Tuesday, 12:00 pm at Ted's!

Lee

"Children’s has been selected to host Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth and His
Royal Highness, Prince Philip on Tuesday, May 8.  The First Lady of the
United States, Laura Bush, will join them for their tour of Children’s. This
historic visit presents an opportunity to showcase CNMC’s world class care
and innovative research to our nation and the world.

The Embassy has made it clear that Children’s is an important selection
because the Queen and Prince are impressed by all of our work in caring for
children.

We will be in the national and international spotlight and want to keep you
informed and engaged as much as is possible particularly given security
requirements.  We ask for your patience and cooperation in making sure the
visit goes smoothly with minimal disruption.

The event includes a reception and abbreviated tour of CRI, as well as an
opportunity to meet patients and families in the Atrium.

We want to involve as many Children’s faculty and staff as is possible, but
security requirements from both Secret Service and the Queen and Prince’s
security detail limit what we can offer.  As a result, this will be a
limited access event, and we ask for your patience and understanding.

We will keep you informed in the next few days, but following are details to
keep in mind for the visit on Tuesday, May 8 and in preparation on Monday,
May 7.

Due to the number of security, Embassy and White House staff who will be
here for the visit, we are looking for 65 Children’s employees to volunteer
to park off site on May 8 to alleviate congestion in the garage. Employees
can utilize the Mass Ave., South Dakota Ave., or Petite Academy parking lot.
Volunteers willing to park off-site will be entered into a drawing for a
thank you gift commemorating the Royal Visit, including opportunities to be
included in the Atrium event. If you would like to volunteer, please contact
the Parking Office at x5422.
There will be a substantial security presence throughout the hospital
starting on May 7. Employees and visitors may experience some delays in
entering the building.
The Atrium will be closed to all traffic on May 8 from 11 am to 4 pm. Due to
the security requirements, any employee and/or visitor who does not have a
reason to be in this area during this time will be asked to depart.
Employees and/or visitors allowed in the Atrium will be identified by an ID
tag specific to the day.  Also, please note we are asking employees to
refrain from observing the event from windows on floors above the Atrium due
to security concerns.
We acknowledge the inconvenience this presents.  Way finding, signage, staff
and volunteers will be available to help patients and families get to and
from their appointments.
Please do not invite family or friends to come to the hospital the day of
the visit. Again, for security reasons, only invited guests will be allowed
in the Atrium and CRI between 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Patients/families and other visitors on May 8 may experience some delays
entering the building. Please make every effort to communicate with patients
prior to the afternoon of May 8 that they may experience some delays and
should plan accordingly to be on time for their visits.  The CNMC Public
Relations team will provide flyers for use with patients who may be affected
by these logistical matters.

Please be assured that we will work to ensure minimal staff disruption and
appreciate your cooperation during this visit."