[Rhodes22-list] More windy practice on Pandion

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Wed May 9 13:09:55 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

Sailors in the southeast have enjoyed several days of strong winds
thanks to the low off the coast in the Atlantic (now
"Andrea").  Probably too much wind on the coast, but in central GA
we've had 3 straight days of gusty 10-15 winds and probably have a
few more before it moves :-)

So, we've been getting in more practice with heavier than usual
wind.  First lesson learned - start with the main reefed.  It's damn
hard to reef non-IMF once you're out in it!  So, I start out by
hoisting the main most of the way, then roll about 4 turns around the
boom, then finish tightening the main and cleat it.  This seems to be
a good first reef and it's pretty easy to unroll and hoist the rest
of the way if the wind lets up.

Once underway, I start unfurling the jib a little at a time to get a
feel for where it balances well.  As the wind gusts, I might get too
much weather helm as it tries to head up.  So first, I'll try pulling
out more jib (if I don't have a lot out already).  Otherwise, I try
easing the main to reduce power aft of "center".  Pretty soon I'll
get things pretty well balanced for the average conditions.  Then it
becomes a matter of making quick changes as the wind comes and goes.

Most of our practice has been reaching or close-hauled.  Wind
direction and narrow lake channels have made running a rare case so far.

This is all great fun, but certainly not what I'd call "leisurely
sailing".  I don't understand the magazine photos of people loafing
around the cockpit enjoying drinks while the boat careens along at a
20 degree heel!  But that's advertising for ya :-)

I just try to remember all the stuff I read and make decisions based
on what feels right at the time.  The books and videos don't tell you
that part!  Lake sailing makes it even more challenging because the
wind is rarely consistent in speed or direction and the variations
can be pretty extreme.  So, there's not much time for loafing about
as I try to hold a steady course and maintain forward motion.

I suppose this gets easier with time and experience.  Right now I
often come back from a sail exhausted... which is not a bad thing,
just unexpected.  Or maybe there's a racer in me that I didn't know
was there.  Time will tell.

Cheers!

John Lock