[Rhodes22-list] Why wax?

David Huckabee huckabee_david at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 10:54:46 EDT 2007

    My name is David Huckabee.  I've introduced myself before but I rarely post to the list.  I have an 84 that I bought from Marc Beroz in 2004.

      I've been reading the waxing postings the past few days and I'd like to recommend a hull restorer--Poli Glow.  I used it because Marc Beroz said it was easy, and it worked.

      Orion, my 84, has dark blue topsides which, of course, are subject to fade.  My boat was never painted, but it looks nearly new with Poli Glow.  The product is easy to apply, and it lasts.  If you have a oxidized finish you have to put some effort into smoothing it before applying Poli Glow, but the results are worth it.  My topsides still are bright and shiny after two seasons.

      The May 2007 Practical Sailor has an article on hull restorers entitled "Shining Star:  Poli Glow Hull Restorer."  After three years in Florida, the test boat was described as follows:  "...we were pleasantly surprised when we inspected the boat this fall, discovering that one section--the bow--was still 'shiny.'  The Poli Glow acrylic sheen is still clinging to the gel-coat.  It looks good."  After reiterating that "surface preparation is essential" and "this means that if you miss a streak of dirt or grease,the blemish will become trapped under the hull restorer," the article concludes "recommending Poli Glow is a no-brainer."

        A complete kit is available from poliglowproducts.com for about $60.  I'd guess a kit will do a Rhodes 22 at least two times.  (I have no connection with the company.)