[Rhodes22-list] We're wet!! Coquina (foredeckguy) launched Sunday

foredeckguy gary_lockhart33 at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 21:17:39 EDT 2007

An update on getting my new (to me) boat underway. Spent Saturday getting
stays on, putting needed gear inside and trying to figure out how the
trailer mounted mast raising was supposed to work. Unfortunately, helpers
didn't show so mast raising was put off until Sunday morning. After letting
out enough winch cable (practically all of it) and tying to the main
halyard, we were ready to go for lift off. Only 2 stay tangles requiring
backing up and the mast was up. The only casualty was the VHF antenna lead
that didn't know to scoot out of the way of the descending mast. (I wanted
the hand-held VHF anyway, but not this soon.)
The launch went sort of smooth. Only after getting the boat off the trailer
( with maneuvers I won't go into) did I discover the centerboard trunk
support bar on the trailer will lower, putting the boat onto the rollers so
it can then roll off the trailer. We tied off at the ramp and motored, with
some dignity, to our summer home. (The breeze Sunday in an unfamiliar marina
and new boat required four tries to get it parked. Fortunately, the place
was really empty and there were no placard wielding judges scoring the
event.)
I expect to have sails on and be ready for the real start of racing this
Thursday (last week was a tune up with only 3 boats showing). Thanks again
for all good advice and wishes.
Gary