[Rhodes22-list] Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu May 17 08:54:50 EDT 2007

I've been wanting to add boom furling or in-mast mainsail furling to my 30'
S2 ever since I bought it (I know, I know, should have kept the R-22) but
wasn't willing to spend 20-30% of the cost of the boat to do it.  This
morning, I stumbled across Somerset Sails offering a behind-the-mast
mainsail furler by CDI on e-Bay for less than $2700 including a new sail.
Since I don't race the loss of battens and performance is not an issue.  My
mainsail is pretty tired anyway and the cheapest cost for replacement is
around a thousand bucks.  This option looks attractive.  Do any of you have
any experience with behind-mast furling systems in general or have marina
neighbors who do, specifically the CDI furler?  This apparently is a recent
development by CDI.

Brad