[Rhodes22-list] Mainsail Behind Mast Furling

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu May 17 12:01:27 EDT 2007

Ed,

My mast and boom have needed painted since I bought the boat and this would
also be the perfect excuse to de-mast and accomplish that task.  I sail with
a lot of non-sailors and just getting them to move out of the way while
dropping and stacking the main is a PITA.  The price on the CDI system is
really attractive.

Regarding the attachment - it is way too close to the truth.  With the
avionics available on homebuilts it could probably be done. I've got two
years left on my steamship gauge "legacy" DC-10 and then I'll be forced
kicking and screaming into the digital age.  The Boeing 777 is starting to
look more promising but for the destinations, Memphis to China, China to
Memphis, Memphis to China, China to - you get the picture.  Depending on how
long the layover is in China you probably would only have to do two
departures a month.  Oceanic crossings are boring as hell but you sure get a
lot of quality reading time.

Brad