[Rhodes22-list] Skinner's Potters - Too long in the tooth...

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Sat May 19 21:47:01 EDT 2007

Tootle wrote:
>     All I asked was which Potter?

Ed, I figured I'd avoid the requests for
details, substantiating references, etc.

>     The orthopedic should have rodded her fib and pinned her tib on the
> first day she broke it.  It may be a gory surgery, but people are up on
> crutches in a couple of days which facilitates healing and bone mending.
> Most leave the rod, but occassionally surgeons take them out after a year.

We had reason to believe that it would
heal without surgery, avoiding the risks
of anesthesia and infection.  We all
participated in the decision (Barb, Doc,
and I), and we were wrong.  Horribly
wrong.  Some days the bear gets you...

>      You need to get away from the cold.  I was just out on the outerbanks,
> aka OBX.  Your P-15 might do well in the shallow bays around Nags Head.  Or
> you might want to do something further south.  You need to get her out of
> the house.  Have you ever been to Cape Hatteras?  Ocracoke? Cape Lookout?

As to getting Barb out of the house, we and
our two labs climbed into the Exploder and
we all went down to the Portland Head lighthouse
(commissioned by George Washington, and in
continuous operation since then) to watch some
ambitious ocean.  Roar and spray are good.

I have not been on the Cape, despite spending
some time in the general vicinity (Lejeune).
I also don't particularly like hot weather.
Had enough of that courtesy of the Corps.  I
live in Maine for good reason.  Barb spent a
number of years in Buffalo, NY, and snow holds
no terrors for her either.

When we travel south (and we have traveled the
Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive a number of times),
we usually do it in the spring or late fall.
We have a stepson near Atlanta, and enjoy the
honky-tonk confusion of Gatlinburg and historic
peace of Cades Cove.  Mostly we stick to
mountains, 2500' or better, and 6000' is heaven.

>       Beaufort, NC has a maritime museum.  Really interesting on small
> fishing sailboat construction.  Worth the time.

Next time I go to Lejeune, I'll take a look.
I lived in Connecticut for a while, and Mystic
Seaport and Newport, RI have major attractions
for the sailor.

Anyway, ED, thanks for the concern and good ideas.

/Robert