[Rhodes22-list] How much Genny?

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Sun May 20 04:42:29 EDT 2007

OK, Bud, I'll take this one.  I have a 175% genny and I have to reef it in
to about 125(?) to get it inboard of the upper shrouds.  It's only a matter
of clearing the spreaders.  The sail has to be shortened enought so that it
can get under the spreaders without interference.  The exact amount may vary
from rig to rig.

I re-route the sheets to the fair leads along side the cabin top (some boats
may not have this equipment)  and then to the winches.   My boat is also
equited with fair leads and cleats on the cabin roof if I want to sheet even
closer-hauled.  I'm just under 6' tall and I can re-route the jib sheets
from the cabin. if I have some one at the helm.  If I'm at the helm and my
first mate is doing it, she has to go forward on deck because her arms
aren't long enough to do it safely from the cabin.

If I make this change under way, first I re-reout the windward (slack) sheet
to the inboard fairlead and winch.  Then I tack and reef in when the sail is
flagging and come about with the jib sheets in the new position.  Then I
re-route the now-windward sheet to the new position and I'm set.

It helps a lot to have an experienced crew to execute this smoothly. but if
not, or you're single-handing, you can always "heave to" when making
changes.

This only happens in higher winds when I have to reef in, AND I'm trying to
point as high as I can.  I have the pop top down to decrease windage and
heel, and the boom in the lower position (so-called "first reef") and, I'm
going fast so I can bring up the center board to about 3/4 to 1/2.  The
faster you go, the less board you need.  The less board, the less heel--but
the more side-slip leeway, so you have to learn to judge for yourself the
right balence for your boat, passengers and destination.

Or not.  Maybe I'm just party-sailing and It doesn't matter.

HEAVE TO:  When tacking into the wind, Come about like normal but don't cut
loose the leeward, now--windward jib sheet.  Ease the jib sheet a little and
also ease the main sheet.  You are now back-winding the main and steer the
boat upwind but don't cross back over the eye of the wind.  When the boat
stops sailing, put the tiller to the lee (steering to windward) and your
boat should stop in it's tracks and simply drift down wind as it yaws back
and forth a little.

You can now make sail changes, repair something that broke, go below and
have lunch and  make love to the first mate... um, first wife.

Hope this helps,

Slim