[Rhodes22-list] How much Genny?

Joseph Hadzima josef508 at yahoo.com
Sun May 20 20:13:19 EDT 2007

Bud,

you need to be carful about seletion of a 1st mate,
sometimes the Admiral may consider having you walk the
plank!

--- Bud <budconnor at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Slim,
>   thanks for the description, that make sense.  I never
> have sheeted
> inside the shrouds as I usually
> am sailing by myself, and did not have the extra pair of
> hands to
> experiment with recessing.
> Although I like the idea of the many roles a first mate
> could play.
>
> Thanks,
> Bud
>
> Steven Lam wrote:
>
> >OK, Bud, I'll take this one.  I have a 175% genny and I
> have to reef it in
> >to about 125(?) to get it inboard of the upper shrouds.
> It's only a matter
> >of clearing the spreaders.  The sail has to be shortened
> enought so that it
> >can get under the spreaders without interference.  The
> exact amount may vary
> >from rig to rig.
> >
> >I re-route the sheets to the fair leads along side the
> cabin top (some boats
> >may not have this equipment)  and then to the winches.
> My boat is also
> >equited with fair leads and cleats on the cabin roof if
> I want to sheet even
> >closer-hauled.  I'm just under 6' tall and I can
> re-route the jib sheets
> >from the cabin. if I have some one at the helm.  If I'm
> at the helm and my
> >first mate is doing it, she has to go forward on deck
> because her arms
> >aren't long enough to do it safely from the cabin.
> >
> >If I make this change under way, first I re-reout the
> windward (slack) sheet
> >to the inboard fairlead and winch.  Then I tack and reef
> in when the sail is
> >flagging and come about with the jib sheets in the new
> position.  Then I
> >re-route the now-windward sheet to the new position and
> I'm set.
> >
> >It helps a lot to have an experienced crew to execute
> this smoothly. but if
> >not, or you're single-handing, you can always "heave to"
> when making
> >changes.
> >
> >This only happens in higher winds when I have to reef
> in, AND I'm trying to
> >point as high as I can.  I have the pop top down to
> decrease windage and
> >heel, and the boom in the lower position (so-called
> "first reef") and, I'm
> >going fast so I can bring up the center board to about
> 3/4 to 1/2.  The
> >faster you go, the less board you need.  The less board,
> the less heel--but
> >the more side-slip leeway, so you have to learn to judge
> for yourself the
> >right balence for your boat, passengers and destination.
> >
> >Or not.  Maybe I'm just party-sailing and It doesn't
> matter.
> >
> >HEAVE TO:  When tacking into the wind, Come about like
> normal but don't cut
> >loose the leeward, now--windward jib sheet.  Ease the
> [...]

HADZ (a.k.a. joe)

"Did you know...that when you walk past a flower, whether it be in
somebody's garden or on a vacant hillside, the flower will always
smile at you. The most polite way to respond, I've been told, is
to cheerfully return the smile."
--Ron Atchison