[Rhodes22-list] Close Haul Question

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue May 22 09:33:40 EDT 2007

Lee,
It's hard to tell without being on the boat with you, but you tried
everything that has been discussed on this list for years.
Under those conditions, I drop the pop top, lower the boom, leave the
centerboard down and bring the genny inside the shrouds. Since the R22 gets most  of
it's power from the genny, I adjust my 175 as needed and even in extreme
conditions have reefed the main, but not before doing everything else. I'm going
to guess that I keep the genny at about 125 to 150, depending on conditions.
It  also helps to have some rail meet. Even an extra 100 lbs on the rail makes
a  huge difference with the R22.
My R22 is equipped with the additional track inside the shrouds and I  always
use it to help maintain good sail shape.

Rummy