[Rhodes22-list] Rail Meat Heeling (was Close Haul Question)

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue May 22 15:34:42 EDT 2007

Lee,
Experimentation with heel angle is the only way to find the "sweet spot"  for
the R22. I use a gps to keep track of speed. I don't have any discernable
current to deal with on our inland lake so that is never a factor. I do know
that the more weight on the rail, the better off you will be.
Going downwind wing on wing with a whisker pole on the genny has gotten me
to 7.4 mph just before broaching. What a rush. The winds were in the 15 mph
range with gusts a little higher. There were three onboard and we were all very
active sailing the boat.
Get yourself several gimbaled drink holders or some super suckers to hold
cups and cans in place. No point in wasting good rum and coke just because your
having fun.

Rummy