[Rhodes22-list] FW: ??? Sarboard tac ???

michael meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Mon May 28 20:02:38 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mailman-bounces at www.rhodes22.org
[mailto:mailman-bounces at www.rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Alex Stavisky
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2007 6:16 PM
To: rhodes22-list-owner at rhodes22.org
Subject: ??? Sarboard tac ???

Here's one for you experts.  I was on a starboard
tack close reach on a 10-12 knot breeze with my
R22.  My speed, per the GPS, was  a good 5-6
knots, I tacked to port tack at a close reach and
could only get 1-2 knots all I tried.   I failed
to get anything better at every try.  It was very
difficult for me to tack back to a starboard tck
and most times I had to jibe.  I was using the
mainsail only and when I added the genoa I had
only marginal improvement.  When using the genoa
it was out full and I had an exact reading on the
actual wind position.  Later on in the day and
with a wind shift the problem went away.  I had
been in the middle of a 2-3 mile lake faced on
one side with a small mountain.
Any ideas what could have been going on?
Alex the newbee.