[Rhodes22-list] Italian Training Ship, Montenegro, Rigging

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Nov 1 11:07:13 EDT 2007

No, Elle -- we only stayed in Kotor for a day, and the
Amerigo was in port for shore leave.  I suspect that
some of those very smartly dressed midshipmen enjoyed
themselves (and others) until morning.

Montnegro is a new (small) nation, trying to ramp up
their tourist business.  As they recover from the
effects of the Bosnian war, they have a way to go.

The people, used to privation, have a hard time
comprehending the high expectations of well-heeled
travelers -- but they are really working on their act,
and the effect is to make visitors feel very welcome
despite the poverty of the surroundings.

Their historic harbor and grand mountains are worth a
visit.  I wish them well.

By the way, I have included a pic of the Royal Clipper's
sail plan.  Despite the level of automation aboard the
modern steel vessel, she also had a major cat's cradle
of rigging.

/Robert