[Rhodes22-list] boat position on the trailer

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Nov 5 14:29:24 EST 2007

Found out Saturday how important boat position on the trailer is.

They started lowering our lake already (although they said it would be a
couple of weeks off) and we had a hard time getting the trailer far enough
into the water to retrieve.  But, finally got Getaway loaded and out.  Up in
the parking lot I'm removing the extension and when I disconnect the
extension from the hitch it starts to rise up on me.  Oops, no tongue weight
at all, in fact, negative tongue weight!  Fortunately, my weight on the
extension was enough to bring it back down and I could reattach to the hitch
ball.  Hmm, now what to do?  Once I remove the engine I've got maybe 80 less
pounds on the stern, but that's not enough to make me comfortable.  So, back
to the water we go.  A closer examination shows one of the ramps is a little
bit steeper and has a bit more water.  This time, I make damn sure I've got
the trailer in far enough and almost have water over the rear bumper.  Crank
on the winch and the boat slides forward and up another few inches.  This
time when I remove the extension she stays put.  So, rear window over the
axle (single axle trailer) and hull stripe up against the bow stop
regardless of how far I have to back into the water.

This goof brought to you as a public service announcement so the rest of you
don't repeat my mistake.

Rob Lowe
S/V Getaway