[Rhodes22-list] Trip to Edenton

Caesar Paul caesarpaul01 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 13:04:52 EST 2007

Hi List Members,
Having tested your patience with many elementary questions about acquiring and outfitting a Rhodes 22; I feel obligated to share with you the fact that Donna and I visited General Boats during the last weekend in October.  We were fortunate to meet both Stan and Elton and were charmed by them, having already developed a favorable disposition about their product.

Stan gave us the grand tour of the factory, allowing us to climb aboard and closely scrutinize the layout of the boats, and also shared with us his methods of construction.
He took us for a sail in winds that were between 10 and 20 mph.  We tacked back and forth towards a marina close by, where four or five Rhodes were docked.  Unfortunately we saw none of the owners around, so we went our merry way sailing with both mainsail and Genoa partially furled because of the lively wind, with occasional gusts.  It was quite exciting!  At the tiller and being coached by Stan we had a wonderful sail.  Donna had a brief and above gentle meeting with the boom while sitting and leaning forward on the captain's seat.  It was her first sail ever, and in spite of her being knocked in the head, she enjoyed the sail, the boat, and sitting in the captain's chair.

We came back to the factory, chatted with Stan and Elton some more, looked over some more boats that are being worked on, and then joined the waiting list for a recycled Rhodes 22.

You played a part in bringing us to this point, and it good to know that there are so many helpful and experienced sailors on the list.  I look forward to sailing my first boat next year please God, and am sure that I will bother you again with many questions.

Thanks again for being there.

Sincerely,
Caesar