[Rhodes22-list] Sealant Question

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 17:37:19 EST 2007

Dear Wizards of Rhodes,

Here's the deal.  The landing gear actuator on the Bo is leaking at the case
halves.  This is a simple gearbox about the size of two pie pans bolted
together and doesn't with internal pressure.  The two halves are sealed with
a standard gasket. Removing the gearbox is a major undertaking but not
impossible.  Repairing it in the field (splitting the case) is not
recommended.  Rebuilt ones are on sale for $4700.  A company in California
will split the case and reseal it for a mere $895.  Obviously, there is a
strong incentive to find an alternative cure. Adding oil is not that big an
issue but I've spent a whole lot of time cleaning the interior belly of the
beast and don't want to have to do this continually.

My research of the archives of the ABS magazine uncovered a story from an
owner in 1996 with the same problem who solved it by cleaning the case joint
thoroughly and coating it with RTV blue without removing the unit and had
good results.  Here's the question.  I haven't been in the market for
sealants for years - is there a newer and BETTER product out there now than
RTV Blue?  Remember, this will go in the outside of a magnesium case and
will be sealing against basic gear oil (only 5 times as expensive as gear
oil because it says airplane on the bottle).

Brad