[Rhodes22-list] Sails

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 10:02:19 EST 2007

Michael,

Sails are very susceptible to damage from the sun.  It basically eats the
fabric and causes it to fall to pieces.  To protect this, roller furling
sails have a layer of sunbrella fabric sown in the bottom and back edge so
that this is exposed when the sail is furled.  This fabric is more resit ant
to the sun and cheaper to replace once it eventually goes bad.  A lot of
boats have this as a different color.  Look at the boat at the top of the
page at http://www.rhodes22.com.  You will notice the edges of the genny are
darker.  This is the sunbrella sacrificial.  Because the main is furling and
a piece of it remains outside of the mast, the triangle at the clew also has
this fabric.

You need to make sure that all of this was discussed when you quoted your
sail price.  It definitely adds to the price of the sail.

Hank