[Rhodes22-list] Lies, Damn Liars, and Oil

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 07:12:33 EST 2007

John,

Let me take the easy one first.  "The Hidden Penny" is custom, a way for
stations to squeeze one last bit out of you at the pump.  Perhaps squeeze
isn't the right word since most filling stations make more money selling
bottled water than they do gasoline.  The profit margins at the retail level
are extremely thin. The hidden penny isn't there at the airport - different
set of customs. How they came up with the fairly consistent 10 cent spread
on the various octane levels is beyond me. How much is hidden in the 9/10
added to the price?  126 Billion $$ in 2006. The Seven Sisters were the OPEC
of their day which is why President Teddy went after them.  The remnants of
the 7 (all now rejoined with one another in some fashion) only produce about
15% of the worlds oil as opposed to nearly all of it at the turn of the 20th
century.  The fundamental shift in the marketplace is the change in demand.
Here's all you need to know about that - China and India. The worlds supply
of oil is so tight that a very small change in supply, say a 2% shortage,
sends prices soaring.  The price you see quoted daily is the NYMEX futures
price which factors in a lot of things but includes a lot of speculation
based on fear.  If Iran starts rattling its sabres about closing down the
Straights of Hormuz the NYMEX price goes skyrocketing. You are correct that
most people don't have a clue what percentage of stuff they buy is based on
the price of fuel.  Some services (like the one my employer provides) is
fairly straightforward, look at your invoice and it will clearly state "fuel
surcharge" on the face of the invoice.  Passenger airlines can't seem to
figure this out, poor things.  Eventually, businesses large and small, have
to pass the cost on to the consumer.  In my construction company alone we've
seen our fuel costs go up about about $300 per week.  We have no choice but
to raise our prices to cover those costs. But the real bug-a-boo is not the
percentage of fuel costs in the price of goods or services but the rate of
change.  Some analysts have suggested that we could adjust to energy prices
going up 10% per annum indefinitely.  What we can't adjust to quickly enough
is giant leaps.  We need not speculate on this, we experimented with it in
1973 and again in 1979.  It was painful!  The economy will be fine at
$200/barrel oil but not if it happens overnight. You are also right about
the dollars the OPEC nations get not being worth as much and occasionally
you hear them grumble about demanding euros. Still, their profits in real
terms have gone way up.  The good news (if you're looking for some) is that
Iraq's oil production is nearing the pre-war level and their record profits
should help accelerate the improvements in their infrastructure now that
most of the bad guys have been rounded up and their government, however
inept they may be, is in the market for butter, not guns.  As for oil
companies selling off retail leases, go back to the first part of my
response.  There is more profit in selling condoms than in gasoline at the
retail level.

Brad

.