[Rhodes22-list] Anchor Rodes

jmorrison355 at comcast.net jmorrison355 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 18 18:22:05 EST 2007

Dan,
I bought my boat from Stan in '85 & it came with a Danforth type anchor made by Viking with 4 foot of chain.  The anchor is a model 30 & is rated for 2000 lbs.  I added 4 more feet of chain to it.  I've used it all over the bay since then & have only drug twice.  Once in a micro burst (when I didn't have enough scope out - my fault), and once in Annapolis Harbor when I unknowingly dropped my anchor on top of a submerged blanket.  I have about 200 feet of rode, but seldom ever use more than 50 to 70 feet.  So, this has been a very reliable & trustworthy set up for me.  In my experience, all over the bay, the bottom is generally soft muck, occassionally with a layer of heavy leaf mold on top.

From: "Dan Johnson" <johnsondan at comcast.net>