[Rhodes22-list] Rudder angle, tacking, and racing

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Nov 22 08:24:53 EST 2007

PT,

Didn't learn as much as I'd hoped.

Wind was about 5 knots.  No chop.  Current with the wind.  Centerboard up.
Set the genoa at the outside shroud (about 115%?).  Close reach.  Pure luck,
but the sails were in perfect balance.  No hands and no tiller lock.  My
weight was in the center of the boat.  After about 5 minutes I carefully
climbed up on the lazarette facing aft.  With the boat still on a steady
course, I pulled the rudder up and immediately went into a full tack into
the wind.

I tried to repeat the experiment with a slower tug or partial raise of the
rudder, but I couldn't get the sails balanced again.  The speed and
direction of the wind kept changing until there was no wind at all.

Not much of a trial, but my assumption would be that in those conditions the
Rhodes doesn't have enough weight or depth below the surface to stay
balanced without the rudder.  It might work with the centerboard down, but
then the drag from the centerboard would probably slow you down as much as
the drag from the rudder.

With the sails balanced in those conditions, I was traveling at 3.5 knots in
an apparent wind of 5.7 knots.  According to:

http://www.sailingusa.info/true_wind_calculator.htm
http://www.sailingusa.info/true_wind_calculator.htm

...if my close reach was at about 50 degrees, the true wind was actually
4.37 knots.

The fastest I made it the rest of the day was 1.3 knots on a close reach
with an apparent wind of 3 knots with the 175 genoa all the way out.  At 50
degrees, that would calculate to a 2.38 true wind.  The white sail of the
genoa was inflated but the UV protector was flopped over.  I furled the
genoa in until the UV protector flew straight back with the rest of the
sail, which brought the headsail down to about 90%.  My speed:  still 1.3
knots.  My assumption:  If you haven't enough wind to blow that UV strip
straight back, you've got way too much genoa out.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lee