[Rhodes22-list] Document Storage

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Nov 26 16:34:33 EST 2007

Brad -

There are several things that cause documents to degrade.

*  Moisture is a killer as it helps activate the acid in
low-grade paper, and can lead to mildew and rot.
Small-package desiccants (silica, etc.) are a help if the
books can be kept in plastic bags.  Dunno if they can be
reused.

You can build/buy a well-sealed compartment or large
plastic bin with sealing lid for your books and other
moisture-sensitive items.  There are large-volume
desiccant pots and bags available at Home Depot and other
hardware stores.  Some can be revived after use by heating
in an oven.

In a compartment, a small incandescent light bulb (10-25
watts) hooked up to a solar array will have a very
beneficial effect.  Even a small amount of heat will raise
the relative humidity.

*  The choice of paper is a factor.  It's a good idea to
use book-bound acid-free paper (art store) for permanent
records.

*  Atmosphere - oxygen oxidizes (surprise?!) and helps
make paper brittle.  Not much you can do about that unless
you store documents with oxygen-scavenging chemicals, and
they can be dangerous in their own right.  Nitrogen-filled
cases are used for archival storage.  Probably not
something you want to deal with.

*  Light - can cause fading.  No issue here.

Finally - A flash drive can be affected by a nearby current
surge.  I'd have important records backed up on CD/DVD and
acid-free paper off site.  Silver-based microfilm is the
archival medium of choice for images of documents.

/Robert

Brad Haslett wrote:

> The logbooks for my Bo, some almost 6 decades old, were so old and weak that
> they would come apart in your hands if you weren't careful.  I have the same
> issue with manuals I leave on the boat for extended periods but because of
> the moisture - they will deteriorate on the boat over a single season. I put
> the Bo logbooks in a large ziplock bag. The boat stuff would fit in a small
> plastic container.  Question - would it do any good to put those little
> silica packages they pack electronics with inside the container or would
> that just attract moisture.  Secondly, where do you buy those things if they
> would indeed work?
>
> The better part of the weekend was spent scanning the original logs into a
> MS Word file and then on a flash drive.  I'm going to carry the flash drive
> in the plane along with the parts and mx manuals on the flash drive in case
> I ever need them away from home.
>
> Brad

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331