[Rhodes22-list] Tanbark sails

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 17:20:36 EST 2007

I used to sail on a 50' wooden schooner that had traditional cotton
tanbark sails.  I liked the ruddy color but I especially liked the
musky smell and oily feel--like oil skin raincoats. The tanbark-like
color used on Dacron is not dyed with the same stuff, has no smell or
oily feel.  Its use on Dacron is just for looks and like Richard
notes, probably reduces its life.

Slim