[Rhodes22-list] Compass and GPS Selection

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Oct 5 07:18:27 EDT 2007

Dan:

Reread and save Captain Meltzer's reply.  He has owned two Rhodes 22's, so
his comments carry twice the weight.  Also, thank him for the professional
reply with direct citation for your ease in following his recommendation.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|17|8357|8391&id=82623

“I like the 130, size does matter, it nice to be able to read it from the
tiller and the larger card deadens the motion some.”

As to the GPS question, I do not recall where you plan to sail.  That could
make a difference.  Many have sailed for years without a gps.

I have a Magellan hand held gps.  I use it more for hiking than sailing.  I
sail on the same lake most of the time:
http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/lakes/hartwell/ , and have sailed on other
inland lakes.

I have also sailed along the coast especially on the ICW.  I have never
sailed my boat off shore.  However, we know of at least two Rhodies sailing
their boats to the Bahamas.  If you get to that level, then you will want
some instrumentation.

If you decide to get a gps, you do not need to get fancy at first.  A modern
simple handheld will accurately tell you where you are.  I have not checked
prices lately, but with Christmas sales promotions, you definitely should be
under $300.  And for starters, I bet $100 would get you a gps to learn with.
You can get the fancy mapping gpses later.  You will know what you want and
need.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
 “He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship
without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast.”    Leonardo
da Vinci