[Rhodes22-list] Winterization (Mast & Main Sail)

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 10 16:15:07 EDT 2007

Steve:
    I agree--the mere thought of the approach of winter puts me into a state of deep depression.
     In response to your question, I bought one of the recommended Defender tarps last year, lowered the mast, draped the tarp over the entire boat (with mast crutch in place) and learned why I don't want to winterize in that fashion again.  Although it got through most of the winter -- a heavy March snow followed by strong winds with the snow on the tarp caused the entire tarp to split into two equal pieces all along the mast and damaged one spreader when it collapsed.  Fortunately it was close enough to spring---I removed the tarp pieces and waited without further incident.
     Now I"m thinking of installing a tarp over the entire cockpit (leaving the mast up and) using the boom and some supports from the boom to the gunnels to support snow that doesn't slide down the tarp(s) for this winter.  In addition, I plan on making an upright wooden boom support to rest the boom on (relieving the top lift) to which I could attach some kind of a jury-rigged support system  to the corners of the stern so the tarp can cover the stern area too.
    Assuming I proceed with this plan, I'd be interested of opinions of Rhodies in the north ---Do I lower the boom to the bottom thereby reducing the area snow can blow in around the mast but, in doing so, reduce the angle from the boom to the gunnels making snow accumulate more or do I leave the boom up so there is greater angle and the snow will slide off easier?  If I don't fully enclose the entire cockpit, should I worry about shading the cockpit so rain or melted snow entering the cockpit will refreeze and block the scuppersr?
Rex

Steven Alm <stevenalm at gmail.com> wrote:
  Ah, yes, my least favorite topic of all--winterization--because it marks the
end of the season. Sheldon, there's no reason not to leave the boat rigged
if you have the place to do that but a tarp over the boom raises the age old
question--to tarp or not to tarp. First of all, the boom does not extend
all the way to the transom so a tarp over the boom alone would not prevent
snow from accumulating in the cockpit. Now, is that a bad thing? Bill
Effros always said he never tarped his boat, never fogged his motor, never
removed his battery, never blocked the trailer up off its wheels, nothing.
I, on the other hand, here in Minnesota did all those things. Bill's
testimonial notwithstanding, I can't help but think that the
freezing/thawing/freezing/thawing could indeed cause some damage, especially
if it were in the bilge. What I've always done is to remove the mast crutch
and lower the mast down to the stern pulpit and use the mast as a roof
ridge for the tarp. I put a couple PFDs under the mast on the cabin roof to
support it in the middle so it doesn't bend under the weight of the snow. I
remove the spreaders so they don't poke through the tarp. The tarp is big
enough to cover the entire rig and I stitch the ends closed so it's just as
protected as a shrink wrap but not so air tight as to invite mold and
mildew.

Other northern Rhodies, please speak up. What do you do?

Slim