[Rhodes22-list] sounder senders

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 22:08:31 EDT 2007

I have a dedicated sounder mounted in the laz fwd of the cockpit drain with
the display on the starboaard bulkhead opposite the compass.

I am looking for a different sort of mapping GPS solution.  I normally use
an old Garmin 48 non-mapping GPS.  I love Garmin but have been told that
their Blue Charts are not always up to date and you pay hrough the nose for
chart updates and new areas.  True or false?

I am looking forward to at least one longer trip next summer in near coastal
waters.  I am intrigued by the availability of free NOAA ENC and RNC vector
and raster navigational charts.  The price can't be beat and they are the
most up-to-date available.  With the addition of some software (I have
identified Fugawi ENC ~$250) and a bluetooth GPS ($99-$199) I can have
handheld mapping on a Palm handheld I already own.  Has anyone gone down
this road?  Car navigation would also work with the proper maps vs. charts.
Looke like a win-win.

If price were not an option, I might choose Trimble Juno, a semi-rugged
windows CE handheld with a built-in GPS.  Goes for ~$650, I think.

Ideas?

Jim Connolly