[Rhodes22-list] Outboards For Sale

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 18 12:19:20 EDT 2007

Where are they?

pdgrand at nospam.wmis.net wrote:  I have two outboard motors I would like to sell. One is a 2002 (bought new
in 2003)like new, Mercury 9.9, 4-stroke, electric start, long shaft. It has
very low hours (in & out of the harbor), only used June thru September each
year, only used in fresh water, and kept in a heated garage during the
winter. I changed the oil, filter & lower crankcase every year. The dealer
tells me it has a list resale of around $1,500, but that is probably
unrealistic. He said I should be able to get $1,150 - $1,250 on ebay. (He
would only offer me about $900 trade-in.)

The other is an approximately 1982 Mercury 9.8, 2-stroke, electric start,
long shaft. It has also only been used in summers and in fresh water. It
broke down in 2003. When I tried to get it fixed, no dealer had the needed
replacement part in stock. It turns out the factory warehouse also didn't
have the part in stock as it was on backorder. As I saw my already short
(Michigan) sailing season sailing away on me, I bought the 4-stroke as a
replacement so I could keep sailing. When the part finally came in, they
fixed the 2-stroke motor and I put it in the garage as a spare. My wife
finally convinced me I don't need a spare. The dealer says I should
realistically be able to get $500 for this on ebay.

The reason I'm selling my 4-stroke is weight. It weighs somewhere in the
neighborhood of 126 to 133 pounds. The new Mercury 4-stroke weighs only
about 86 pounds (about the same as my 2 stroke). As I get older, it is
getting harder & harder to lift that much weight up onto the motor mount.

If no one is interested, I'll probably put them on ebay in a week or two.

Thanks,
Paul Grandholm
1999 Rhodes 22
s/v Boilermaker