[Rhodes22-list] Portsmouth rating for Peter and attached political cartoon (not for Alan)

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 18 15:23:19 EDT 2007

Peter
    You are right.  I'm in a club that uses Portsmouth and the rating on my 1988recycle has become a bit controversial.  Last year they arbitrarily assigned it a Portsmouth rating of 99 and now others are saying it should be lower.   Quite frankly, my guess is the 99 was probably more fair to the others than to me but I've had some luck watching the wind and others are now questioning it.
   I thought some others might have had similar experiences that I might share with my club.
  Rex

Peter Thorn <pthorn at nc.rr.com> wrote:
  Ed,

Those are PHRF numbers, not Portsmouth Yardstick numbers. I would guess if
there were racing enough data sent to USSA to establish a Portsmouth number
for R22 that it would be in the 95 to 105 range.

The Portsmouth Yardstick compares boats to the baseline Thistle (D-PN 80, I
think) and USSA assigns the number for the entire country and adjusts every
year based upon racing data submitted.

PHRF ratings are set by local committees and vary regionally.

PT