[Rhodes22-list] Portsmouth rating for Peter and attached political cartoon (not for Alan)

Charles Henthorn rexh at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 18 16:06:51 EDT 2007

Peter:
      At the end of last season (2006) they tell me my times were reported to Portsmouth but then I was still learning how to handle the 175 on a narrow lake and trying to close reach competively having only had the boat since May 06.  My reaching still needs a lot of improvement but that 175 on the runs blows everyone else away.
  Rex

Peter Thorn <pthorn at nc.rr.com> wrote:
  Rex,

Raven is an 88 too. At the landfill scales, she weighed exactly 2900 --
pretty fit and trim for an old gal, wouldn't you say?

Does your club race officer submit the racing results to US Sailing? That
could be the start of establishing a fair D-PN for R22.

I just signed up to race Raven in the NYRA PHRF winter series on the Neuse
River, Blackbeard Sailing Club, New Bern. The PHRF racing won't count to
adjust D-PN, because Portsmouth is for racing one-designs in a handicap
fleet and largely smaller boats.

I have some friends with Alerion 20s they race at Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
They claim they are always on the line and moving fast at the start, while
the other boats in their handicap class don't make much of an effort to
start competitively and hang way back. Because they are winning a lot with
the Alerions, the other sailors started lobbying to adjust their rating.
Sounds like that might happen to you too. It's an old story.

Sorry I can't help you with your rating.

PT