[Rhodes22-list] Corn - More Politics - real reply

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Oct 24 10:33:17 EDT 2007

Please excuse the prior nul content message.  Fat finger.

I see a lot of downsides to using corn as the basis for fuel.

The article, if I got all the content, does not address the
problem of water pollution from fertilizer run-off, nor does
it deal with the economic consequences on the cost of food
that result from the shift to corn production instead of
other foodstuffs.  These side effects alone are enough to
give me pause.

To them, we can add the increased tendency toward corrosion
an chemical breakdown in storage tanks, the damage to other
fuel containers and transport systems, and the generally
questionable government interference in a free market via
subsidies to large agribusiness.

If we really have to go with ethanol as a fuel, we can make
it from sawgrass, wood pulp leftovers from papermaking,
and Maine's own potatoes, all of which have a lesser
economic and ecologic footprint.

I'm not up on biodiesel, but I have a suspicion that it
also has large unintended consequences.

/Robert