[Rhodes22-list] Corn - More Politics - real reply

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 11:30:26 EDT 2007

idiot......interesting word........

Brad Haslett <flybrad at gmail.com> wrote:  Robert,

You nailed it! The inefficiencies of ethanol production are only a part of
the problem. Corn is a "greedy" crop and terribly hard on soil and the
environment. The Oak Ridge Lab has been working on ethanol from switchgrass
for some time. We could take current land subsidized through conservation
set-aside programs and place it in permaculture - perennial crops. However,
at current fuel prices it is not economically viable. The biggest drawback
to any alternative fuel is that crude oil based energy is just too damned
easy and efficient. The 'easy' part is relative. The stuff is distributed
mostly in geographic and cultural areas hostile to us. Factor in the cost
of protection for the sources and distribution channels, and of course the
petty tyrants the oil profits produce, and maybe the stuff isn't so cheap
and efficient after all.

The single biggest weapon we have in the Energy Wars is the "C" weapon -
CONSERVATION. Personally, I think Big Al is an idiot but perhaps a very
useful one.

Brad