[Rhodes22-list] Corn - More Politics - real reply

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 16:17:39 EDT 2007

Rummy,

What the press forgets to mention is that Brazil hit the the 'mother lode'
in offshore oil.  Rik got it right, they make ethanol from sugar beets.  We
could too but for the protectionism of the Louisiana sugar beet farmers.
Even if we did, it wouldn't make a dent in the energy budget.  A long time
ago in a far away place, I rode my bicycle across Iowa several times during
RAGBRAI.  Even then, the locals were talking about their cancer rates as a
result of the contaminated run-off  from corn.  There is no such thing as a
free lunch.  We won't grow our way out of this predicament in the short
term.  Just like steel and oil (and the Chinese) with the Japanese, or Jews
with the Germans, we'll fight it or surrender them the ground.  The
Clinton/Gore team got it right with their first campaign song, "don't stop
thinking about tomorrow".

Brad