[Rhodes22-list] Question for Thena

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 07:23:33 EDT 2007

Thena,

I found the guys in Ocean Springs and Biloxi and intend to visit with them
today.  Chris Rooke at Rooke Sails has repaired my main before but I'm
pretty sure he doesn't have a full blown loft.  He's right by the airport so
I'll visit with him tomorrow on the way to work.  We have no plans to sell
the boat but Fan convinced me that installing an aftermarket behind-the-mast
furler would make the boat an odd duck and more difficult to sell.  She
know's little about sailing but I think she's probably right about this
issue.  I do need to address the luff track binding which will only get
worse if I go with full battens.  That needs to be discussed with the
sailmaker and a decision made to go with battslides, one of the new mast
tracks, or just an upgrade in slides, perhaps Allslides.  My goal is not to
spend more than 10% of the value of the boat replacing just the main, and
that would be easy to do if you get carried away with upgrades.  Another
issue that it's time to address is to choose between a dutchman flaking
system, or lazy jacks, or a Doyle Stack/Mack Stack system - or nothing.  Too
many choices and they all cost $$.

Brad