[Rhodes22-list] A Very Blustery Day!

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Oct 31 09:26:42 EDT 2007

Art,

Having sailed with you, I'll readily admit that you put the Art in the
art of seamanship.  So explain to me the problem with the 175.  Is it
that the sail shape spills too much wind at the foot?  It just doesn't
seem like there would be a significant improvement with a furling 155 or
135.  If you run the genoa sheets on the deck or cabin top so the
shrouds don't get in the way, won't the foot of the 175 be just as tight
as a smaller furling sail?

I have more problems with the weight of the 175 in light winds, but even
then the unfurled portion doesn't weigh any more than a smaller sail of
the same size.

The biggest problem I have with the 175 is that I don't have enough
sense to reef it when the winds get too gusty, but scary is fun when
it's safe.  Kind of like Halloween.

Don't eat too much candy tonight--we both already have enough rail meat!

Lee