[Rhodes22-list] Sail Plan Changes

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:41:27 EDT 2007

Brad,

Consider the sail as the force at the end of a lever.  The closer the force
to the fulcrum the less the effect.  So, the higher up the sail, the more
the boat will heel over in a blow.  Lower sail, less heeling.  Also, the
rhodes sails faster upright than heeled over.  This is not true for most
sailboats.  Many boats increase waterline length, and theoretical hull
speed, when heeled over.  The rhodes hull shape really doesn't so heeled is
not better.

Hank