[Rhodes22-list] Sail Plan Changes

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Oct 31 10:55:37 EDT 2007

I see no nagative change in stability.

The sail area is decreased as the boom goes up,
so the moment arm decreases.

The ultimate condition would be a handkerchief
flying from the top of the mast, and that would
not be destabilizing.  Quite the contrary.

Of course, you wouldn't go anywhere, either.

/Robert
Brad Haslett wrote:

> Ok, boys and girls, put your thinking caps on!  Here's the deal, the sails
> rep I've been visiting with has a 9.2C just like mine that he raised the
> boom 10 inches on for better headroom (mine is about 5' 11 1/8 inches above
> the cockpit which gives me 1/4 inch to play with versus getting whacked
> while standing up).  He also shortened his boom length 21 inches which I
> really don't want to do.  He says the boat handles better, has less weather
> helm, and the center of effort moves forward.  Other than the obvious loss
> of sail area (less than 5% by my calculations) what can be anticipated in
> changes of handling characteristics? He (the rep) says it moves the center
> of effort forward and the boat is more stable based on his experience.
>
> Now this from Stan's site: *Lowering the boom, automatically lowers the sail
> inside the mast, which in turn lowers the center of effort of the sail,
> therefore increasing the stability of the boat without cutting sail area.
> In fact, boat speed actually increases slightly by lowering the boom.
>
> *Can we assume then that raising the boom will decrease stability and if so
> by what margin?  What is your experience? Loss of speed is not an issue with
> me. Everytime I think about these things I get a headache.  I'm sure Stan
> could answer this in about 2 seconds but I'm afraid he'd want a donation for
> his experience.  That greed thing again.  I'm hoping someone can think this
> through and give an informed opinion at a reasonable cost.  Like free!
>
> Brad
> *
>
> *

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"