[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Rummy Style

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 10:29:41 EDT 2007

Hello Rhodies,

We took our yet-to-be-named Rhodes out yesterday and finished up the day
with some Rummy style sailing.  With both the main and jib completely out
and sailing on a beam reach, the winds picked up and we occasionally buried
the rails.  Under full control the whole time and, wow, was that a lot
of fun!  Charlie, my 8 year old, was just eating it up.  He can't wait to go
out again. Even, Andrea, my 7 year old who doesn't normally enjoy sailing
that much, had a great time.  She likes sitting on the low side and watching
the water go by real fast.

We did discover one issue that maybe some of you can help with.  Our boat is
an '82, not recycled, and a few times when we buried the rail, water came
into the cabin through the joint between the hull and the deck.  If I
remember right, When Mike Weisner helped us pick up the boat last fall,
he remarked that the rhodes was notorious for this and not much could be
done.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on possible remedies.

Thanks,

Hank