[Rhodes22-list] Experimenting with loose-footed main

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 11:11:30 EDT 2007

I am not sure I understand...your outhaul should work with typical bolt rope
or shelf foot main. The cut of the sail is much different but the outhaul
should work. Anyway I wouldn't expect any improvement in performance.

I am not saying loose foot is better or not j......ust that you don't have a
loose foot sail. The cut of the sails are different and I would think you
would have a big problem flattening the sail. On any point other than a dead
run this would be an issue. The reason "one design" class racing don't like
loose foot is due to the fact that that is not the original one design. It
is tough enough to make sure all is legal without having different rigs.
That is the nice thing about racing one desgn....in theory all is even.

With IMF loose foot makes sense but with standard rig I think loose foot
makes reefing and sail stowage a little messier. As you lower the sail the
foot helps keep the sail in place while you reef.

Fair Winds,

Wally