[Rhodes22-list] Robert's new car

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Mon Sep 10 08:14:19 EDT 2007

Robert:  Based on your requirements, I don't think you'll find a better
choice than the Mazda-3.  The reviews on the car are impressive and it's
suprisingly fun to drive.  If automatic transmission wasn't on your list,
I'd check out the Mazda-3 Speed.  Don't take a test ride unless you plan on
buying it.  Mileage isn't as good and it's significantly more expensive
since many dealers are selling it above MSRP, but talk about fun to drive.
One of my top choices was the Miata MX-5 with the retractable hardtop, but
my practical side couldn't deal with premium gas and a short range between
fill-ups.

My son just got his drivers license and I gave him my 1996 4-cyl Honda
Accord with a little over 230K miles on it.  I wasn't ready to give it up
but my wife told me to and I always do what she says.  So I needed a new
car.

My requirements were a little different than yours, but the 4-door automatic
Mazda-3 made it into my top ten list.  I wanted a 90-mile/day commuter car
that had a better-than-average reliablity rating from Consumer Reports.  I
researched and test rode cars up to $50K but I'm real cheap and was more
interested in my perception of value.  Most cars over $30K just didn't seem
worth it--I'd rather spend the money on a new Rhodes.

I narrowed my search down to the 2-door Honda Civic, 6-cyl Toyota Camry SE
and 4-cyl Honda Accord.

The new Civic blew me away.  I liked just about everything about it.
Aesthetically I thought the 2-door was one of the best looking cars on the
road.  Unfortunately I preferred a 4-door; you needed to be a contortionist
to reach the seatbelt; no power-adjusted seats; no automatic temperature
control; and the after-market leather seats didn't help the value.

On paper the Camry was my dream car.  Loved the new look and had tons of
unnecessary bells and whistles to justify the price.  The 6-cyl had
incredible power yet it was rated 30 mpg on average for the highway (36 mpg
on the high end).  The only problem was that my 1996 Accord handled like a
sports car by comparison.

I picked the 4-cyl Accord because I could comfortably fill-up every four
days instead of every three with the 6-cyl, and the 6-cyl's power wasn't
that much more impressive.

Even though this was to be my car and I would be the only one driving it 99%
of the time, I thought it prudent to get my wife's buy-in.  On the way to
have her test-ride the Accord, she had me stop by the Toyota dealer.  She
saw an Avalon she liked and thought I'd look better in it than an Accord.
Hey, I'd make any car look good!  Naturally I bought it since I always do
what my wife says.  She said that the countless hours I wasted researching
and test-riding cars was no different than having a hobby.  This is true and
I enjoyed it, but I would have enjoyed the time more if I would have been
out sailing my other hobby.

Jerry:  Now I have an Avalon and a 4Runner also.  You'll be happy to know
that my wife's 2000 4Runner has over 145K miles on her and she looks and
runs like new (the car not my wife).  Regarding new versus used, I agree
that used cars are typically better values.  However, if you pay the
dealer's highest invoice price for a new car, you'll see that cars
depreciate at the same escalating rate well past 100K miles.  Boats are
another story.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Crab Alley (Kent Island, MD)

I've  given up on buying new cars,as the prices approach the cost of my
house (in 1974).Last year we got a '02 Avalon Toyota with 50,000 miles,saved
$17,000 from the price of a new one.Got all the bells and whistles,a great
ride,and no trouble so far.In '04 we got a '03 Four-runner,with 13,000
miles,only saved $8,000 on it,but it's been a good ride (and tow vehicle)
for us.With all the lease trade-ins out there,the are alot of good used cars
out there,might consider looking at them.Toyotas fetch a premium price,but
judging from the 3 I've had,they are well worth it.

Jerry Lowe