[Rhodes22-list] Potty Question

David Culp daculp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 09:00:16 EDT 2007

Joe:

You may want to check your state laws in Tennessee.  When I first got my
boat, it had the marine head.  In Texas, marine heads are not allowed to be
operational on fresh water unless the over-board dump has been disabled and
a permit is procured and displayed in the vicinity of the deck pump out
receptacle.  Removing the valve handle apparently satisfies the requirement
and upon inspection, a permit will be issued.  The only pump out station on
my lake is not sailboat friendly-so that takes care of that option.   My
overboard thru-hull started leaking anyway, So I chose to remove the whole
thing and capped the thru-hull as I am only on fresh water.  I put a hasset
which is what you described in the same place as the toliet used to be.  It
is for emergency use only and no one ever has because whoever uses it, gets
to carry it out and clean it.  If I ever went overnight, I think a Porta
Potti with the pump flush would probably be a good choice on a lake.  Also,
previous owners over the years did not do a good job of keeping the plumbing
clean on the marine head and as a result there was an odor present.  The
toliet was clean and the holding tank was fairly clean but in between was
pretty nasty.  I took out the sludgy (inside), flexible plumbing and
discarded it.    My estate can buy some new tubing from Stan
and reinstall the toliet when they go to sell the boat.

David Culp