[Rhodes22-list] Squirrels & Edith P. - was Attn: Robert - New Car

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Sep 18 10:19:08 EDT 2007

Granted, Steve, a high velocity CO2 pellet from a rifled
barrel could get that accuracy and eliminate the squirrel
problem.  However:

(1) That would run counter to the no-kill policy at
Squirrel Haven.  (I don't kill squirrels and Barbara
doesn't kill me!)

(2) A ricochet into our neighbor's child, siding, or
window could be embarrasing to explain.

Brad, it looks as if the maximum accurate range of a
light-weight non-lethal (but discouraging) projectile is
about 25 feet, and that requires a good eye and steady
hand.

Perhaps a separately insulated double layer of 4"
galvanized mesh, separated by about 2" with interstices
offset would work if each of the two layers were charged
oppositely with a fence charger.  The critters would try
to go through, but get discouraged but not killed when
they bridged the gap between the fences.

Re the Edith P: she splashed last week and the newly
grafted keel trunk and 270 lb swing keel did not leak.
I am now finishing up the rigging to manage the heavy
keel and link the rudder to the motor.

Finally, a working swing-keel 19' after 3 years!  Worth
the wait, but I'd have gone nuts without my Potter 15'
Little Dipper while working on Edith P.

With the ballast 4' down (where it is most needed), but
able to be swing-retracted to a draft of 10", keeping
the CG low, Edith P. is very stable with the keel down,
good under bare poles on the hook, and can go anywhere.

Her brandy-new big-wheel long-tongue low-rider EZLoader
trailer allows launching off many of the gravel beaches
we have in Maine.

I am looking forward to some good weeks aboard this boat.

/Robert

Steven Alm wrote:

> Sorry, "pellet"  ...silent but deadly.
>
> On 9/18/07, Steven Alm <stevenalm at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > CO2 pelet gun.
> >
> > On 9/17/07, Brad Haslett <flybrad at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Robert,
> > >
> > > Since the tomatoes are gone for the season I've quit paying attention to
> > > them.  I think I'll use the winter season to study armaments. The
> > > plastic
> > > firing mechanism on the cheap pistol broke but I wasn't happy with the
> > > accuracy long before that.  Did you find one that's good beyond 30
> > > feet?  I
> > > need about a fifty foot range.
> > >
> > > Brad

> > > new