[Rhodes22-list] Must Have / Like to Have / Boom Room

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Sep 19 21:37:51 EDT 2007

I'll play. Keep in mind that we keep our boat in a slip, store it on
it's trailer over the winter, sail in the fickle winds of the
Chesapeake, are cruisers first and sailors second and don't mind
turning on the motor to get somewhere. Now that we are retired we
might even trailer the boat somewhere. My take on your list below.

At 10:40 AM 9/16/2007, you wrote:
>   Stan asked me to prepare a "must have" and a "like to have" list,
> and these are what I have come up with thus far:
>
>   1. Battened main sail

I would want a new sail. I would go for the battened sail. I doubt
that there is that much price differential.

>   2. Mast Hoist Crane

We raise and lower our mast ourselves. The crane makes it easy. We
wouldn't be without it.

>   3. Diamond Board

I'm not convinced there is much difference. Take someone else's advice on this.

>   4. 175 Genoa

Decide what you want for a furler and what kind of winds you are
likely to sail in. We have the 175 and for steady winds 6 - 12 knots
it's ideal. We bought a UPS for those light air and downwind days. We
are thinking of going to a furler that will easily allow us to change
sails. If we do that we'll keep the 175 or whatever it comes out to
be once they alter it for the furler and get something smaller for
those windy days.

>   5.  Motor Steering linkage

We've never used the motor to steer the boat. Disconnecting it to
sail would be one more thing to do.

>   6.  Mast Head Antenna

Very useful on the Chesapeake where we do a lot of calling marinas.
Yes cell phones work but the radio is an important piece of safety
equipment. If you make a distress call, every boat in the area hears
you. We assisted the Coast Guard with info about a small boat capsize
a couple of years ago. We became involved when we heard the
conversation on the VHF. The Coast Guard was asking for coordinates
which the overturned boat couldn't give.

>   7.  VHF Radio

see above.

>   8. Bulkhead Compass

We mounted ours on a board in the companionway. I like lounging
against the cabin wall in the cockpit.

>   9. In Hull Depth Finder

Useful - ours is a fishfinder with the transducer mounted on the
stern as we couldn't get it to shoot through the hull and we didn't
want to cut a hole in the boat.

>   10. New Design Boom Room instead of Bimini

We sail with the bimini up most of the time. We like it.

>   11. Marine Head

Personal choice.

>   12.  Hiking Seats

Personal choice.

>   13. Wells for 2 Batteries

We only have one though we are going to two and an electric start motor.

>   14.  Boom Room

If you are planning to sleep in the cockpit maybe yes. If you are
sleeping in the cabin, a pop-top enclosure may be sufficient.

>   15. seat & Cockpit Filler Cushions

Seat cushions, yes. We sleep in the cabin.

Hope this helps.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD