[Rhodes22-list] Must Have / Like to Have /

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Thu Sep 20 08:10:28 EDT 2007

My 2 cents worth: A VHF radio is not a luxury on a boat, it is a necessity.
Having the mast head antenna increases your range from about a mile with a
hand  held to around 18 miles with a mast head antenna and permanently mounted 5
watt  system. Most have the NOAH weather alert feature which I find helpful on
our  inland lake. We are close to the mountains and weather conditions can
change  quickly and do. Although we're on an inland lake, I can find my self 15
miles  from my dock easily. Even motoring that can take almost three hours to
get  home. It's nice to be able to duck for cover before the worst of a storm
hits.
When you discuss battened sail, I'm assuming you are deciding between the
battened or non battened IMF. Spend the extra bucks and get the battened main
sail. I have two batteries. I run cabin lights, radios and wash down pump on
one  and use the second battery for running and navigation lights. I tend to use
the  stereo a lot, but want to be seen at night. I also have a battery
percent of  charge gauge installed so I know where I stand with my consumption.
(Electricity  that is)

Rummy