[Rhodes22-list] using anchor need ideas easy use

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Sep 20 15:59:29 EDT 2007

Hi David,
What is your set-up now? Many Rhodes owners have the anchor on the
bow but I agree with you that rode storage is not the best.

You'll find a number of different approaches in this group based on
how people sail and where they anchor. We always have kept the rode,
chain and anchor connected and ready to go. When we first got the
boat and had the anchor on the bow we kept the rode in the storage
tray and led it out through the open cowl vent to be cleated on the
center cleat. I didn't like the wet rode so near the v-berth (even
though we use the v-berth for storage not sleeping). Then we tried
bundling the rode with bungees and hanging it from the bow pulpit but
that was sloppy and hard to keep usable.

We've gone to storing the anchor and rode in the lazarette (in a bag
designed for purpose available at WM). It's not ideal but we always
sail double handed so one can remain at the tiller and the other can
walk the bag containing anchor and rode to the bow, cleat off the
rode (the bitter end comes out of the bag through a grommet) and
deploy the anchor. Because I am the primary anchor handler we are
limited to what I can comfortably carry forward. A year or so ago we
went from a Danforth to a larger Fortress anchor and reduced the
amount of chain because it reduced the overall weight I have to
carry. So far it's worked well in the Chesapeake mud including a
hairy night where the winds switched direction completely and we had
good sized waves in an anchorage. In a pinch we can deploy this
anchor from the cockpit, cleat it off there and then walk it to the
bow later. If we are in a dicey situation where the anchor might be
needed quickly we get it out of the lazarette and keep it on the
cockpit floor sooner rather than later.

Ideal would be a dedicated self-draining anchor locker  or even a
self-draining rode locker isolated from the v-berth but I've never
seen one on a Rhodes 22.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless